Description

The Old Parliament House Gardens are located in the heart of the Parliamentary Zone on either side of Old Parliament House. The Gardens have been restored to their former glory, enhanced with the introduction of features such as seating pavilions, pergolas, rose arbors, pathways, gateways and the refurbishment of the tennis courts and bowling green.

...

Show more

The Old Parliament House Gardens are located in the heart of the Parliamentary Zone on either side of Old Parliament House. The Gardens have been restored to their former glory, enhanced with the introduction of features such as seating pavilions, pergolas, rose arbors, pathways, gateways and the refurbishment of the tennis courts and bowling green.

When Members and Senators arrived in Canberra for the opening of Provisional (Old) Parliament House in 1927 they were met with bare ground and a hedge, just half a meter high, planted by the Superintendent of Parkes and Gardens, Charles Weston. Sporting facilities - a bowling green, tennis courts and a cricket pitch - were quickly established in the gardens for the exclusive use of parliamentarians.

The idea of a garden languished for several years until Robert Broinowski, Secretary of the Joint House Department, took up the cause. With the assistance of the National Rose Society of New South Wales, Broinowski initiated the design and planting of an open garden based on patterned rose and annuals display beds, set in lawns and with a minimum of trees. Many of the roses were donated by rose societies, companies and individuals, and Parliament House staff.

Features & Facilities

Facilities

Air Conditioning .glyphicons-heat
Audio Visual Equipments .glyphicons-projector
Business Centre .glyphicons-briefcase
Ceremony On Site .glyphicons-ring
Disability Access .glyphicons-person-wheelchair
Internet Access .glyphicons-globe
Wifi Access .glyphicons-wifi

Event Rooms

Old Parliament House Gardens

Min 10 people, Max 2000 people